Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 224 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Can Beehive Corn Syrup
Identifier: 2002.1.51
Donor: Bill Gray
Item Date: 1920-1935
Image Creator: Musuems of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A cylindrical metal can with lid and a paper label. The can is made of metal and is covered with a blue, orange, black and white paper label. The label reads "Bee Hive Golden Corn Syrup---". History: The St. Lawrence Starch Company was founded in 1889 by John Gray. It was a corn wet-milling operation with the purpose of producing starch and glucose from corn. Many of the product lines produced by St. Lawrence Starch are still in use today such as Durham Starch and Bee Hive Corn Syrup. Food products were only a small portion of the business done at St. Lawrence Starch as starch is an additive in many industrial products such as cement and plastic. St. Lawrence Starch was located at the bottom of Hurontario Street and Lakeshore Road in Port Credit. It was a major industry for this area. The milling operation closed down in 1990 due to competition and high tariffs on corn. In 1993 St. Lawrence Starch announced a marketing alliance with Cargill, Minneapolis, which provides Cargill with exclusive sales services of corn sweeteners and corn starches in the Canadian Market. For more information on the St. Lawrence Starch Company, see "St Lawrence Starch 100 Years 1889-1989".
Copyright: Musuems of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Musuems of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851