|Description: A cylindrical metal container for distributing corn oil. The container has a white, round, twist off plastic cap located at the top centre area of the packaging. The main body is painted green and depicts an image of a tossed salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes and eggs in a wooden bowl with wooden tongs. "St. Lawrence Corn Oil , 25fl oz, 710ml" is written on one side of the container in white and yellow lettering. The same message is in French on the opposite side. Directions for use and product ingredients are printed in white vertically along the container and are in both French and English.
History: The St. Lawrence Starch Company was founded in 1889 by John Gray. It was a corn wet-milling operation with the purpose of producing starch and glucose from corn. Many of the product lines produced by St. Lawrence Starch are still in use today such as Durham Starch and Bee Hive Corn Syrup. Food products were only a small portion of the business done at St. Lawrence Starch as starch is an additive in many industrial products such as cement and plastic.
St. Lawrence Starch was located at the bottom of Hurontario Street and Lakeshore Road in Port Credit. It was a major industry for this area. The milling operation closed down in 1990 due to competition and high tariffs on corn. In 1993 St. Lawrence Starch announced a marketing alliance with Cargill, Minneapolis, which provides Cargill with exclusive sales services of corn sweeteners and corn starches in the Canadian Market. For more information on the St Lawrence Starch Company, see "St Lawrence Starch 100 Years 1889-1989".