Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 397 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Electrical Meter
Identifier: 2002.1.102
Donor: Bill Gray
Item Date: 1898-1902
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: An electrical meter from Westinghouse whose serial number is: "n 23/823 type port.p". There are 5 plastic buttons and 12 metal fragments located in the wood box. The meter is composed of a protective glass and contains a leather handle on the side. 1xC72843 is written under a 'directions' heading. Also written is: "usa patented- dec 26, 1893,oct 22, 1895, aug 9 , 1898, dec 30 1902". "Style 115151" is written on the watt meter's screen. History: Westinghouse Electric Company was founded in 1886 by George Westinghouse (1846 -1914). George Westinghouse was responsible for the development and introduction of the alternating current for light and power. He founded 59 companies and had received over100 patents. He is also credited with the first city-wide telephone switching system, first power station turbine generator system, and first radio station. See www.westinghousenuclear.com. The St. Lawrence Starch Company was founded in 1889 by John Gray. It was a corn wet-milling operation with the purpose of producing starch and glucose from corn. Many of the product lines produced by St. Lawrence Starch are still in use today such as Durham Starch and Bee Hive Corn Syrup. Food products were only a small portion of the business done at St. Lawrence Starch as starch is an additive in many industrial products such as cement and plastic. St. Lawrence Starch was located at the bottom of Hurontario Street and Lakeshore Road in Port Credit. It was a major industry for this area. The milling operation closed down in 1990 due to competition and high tariffs on corn. In 1993 St. Lawrence Starch announced a marketing alliance with Cargill, Minneapolis, which provides Cargill with exclusive sales services of corn sweeteners and corn starches in the Canadian Market. The St. Lawrence Starch Company had itís own generator on site due to the vast quantities of power needed. It was also necessary as it ran at a higher voltage then what was available to everyone else. The factory had a whole department devoted to generating power for the plant. These instruments were used to measure voltage. Hurricane Hazel passed through the area in 1954 but St. Lawrence Starch was one of the only businesses not effected due to itís own power plant. For more information on the St Lawrence Starch Company, see "St Lawrence Starch 100 Years 1889-1989".
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851