|Description: Silk and lace ankle length, drop waist wedding dress. The dress has a V-neck neckline and long sleeves. Three quarters of the sleeves are silk fabric; they end in 22.0 cm of lace to the wrist with two snap closures. A lace overskirt begins at the hipline ending in scallops on the edge of an uneven hemline. There is a loose silk belt attached around the hip line and it closes with a round metal buckle. The buckle is two round (2.5 cm diameter) brass (?) circles, hooked together at the centre. Each half of the buckle has a star shape in the middle and is encrusted with artificial pearls and rhinestones. Most of the pearls and rhinestones are missing. Under the bodice there is a waist length separate lining. It has straps that are attached to the shoulder seams of the dress. There are two 1 cm long cuts under the right arm of this lining. The veil is accessioned under 2006.10.2.
History: This wedding dress belonged to Agnes Mae Hodgetts who married Andrew Lyle Pritchard on Feb. 8, 1930 at Clarkson United Church at the southeast corner of Clarkson Road South and Lakeshore. The donor, Sandra Lindsay, is a niece of Agnes Hodgetts Pritchard. A copy of a photograph of the bride in the wedding dress is enclosed in the file.
Percy Warburton Hodgetts (1878-1966) and his friend Alexander Westervelt purchased 20 acres of land in 1910 from Andrew Orr. The land was located on the west side of Clarkson Road South (Lot 29, Con. 3). Percy and Alexander planned to divide the land and tossed a coin to see which half they would get. Alexander got the property that had Bush's Inn on it (one time home of Captain Sutherland and his family who are related to the Harris family of Benares). Percy built a large home on the bank of the creek that became known as Hodgetts' Creek since it ran through their property and emptied into the Rattray Marsh (now called Sheridan Creek). Percy received a Bachelor of Science and Agriculture degree in 1897 from the Ontario Agricultural College in Guelph. He was appointed to the Provincial Department of Agriculture in 1902 and acted as secretary for the Ontario Fruit Growers Association (1904) and later was appointed to Head Director (1908). Percy was an active member of the Carmen Methodist Church. Percy Hodgetts married Emily Mae Hendison (1879-1944). They had three children: Agnes, Jack, and Jean.
Jean Lindsay, the donor's mother, was a long-time volunteer at Benares Historic House and was a childhood friend of Barbara Sayers Larson.