|Description: A pale yellow soap dish made of thin French Ivory. Rectangular shape with rounded corners. It includes a lid. .1) The lid is 1.5 cm deep. It is dirty inside. .2) The base is 1.5 cm deep. The upper edge has a thin 1.0 cm wide band around the inside to form a ledge for the top of the dish to rest upon. There is a .75 cm long vertical crack on one long side of the base. The dish is dirty inside; there are no decorations. Claimed to be part of a set, but it does not include the floral decoration that is on the hair brush (2006.10.5) and powder puff container (2006.10.6)
History: French Ivory is one of many early plastics developed as a substitute for elephant ivory. REF: 'The Fascination of Ivory' pages 35-36. Godfrey Harris 1991, Delta Lithograph Co., USA. French Ivory was first produced by the Xylonite Company in 1866. Other names include Celluloid, Ivoride, Ivorine, and Pyralin. REF: www.jewelrysupplier.com/glossary/F-glossary.html.
This soap dish belonged to William Lindsay, father of donor Sandra Lindsay. William Lindsay (1915-2004) moved to Clarkson after marrying Jean Hodgetts (1919-2003) in June 1944. Jean and William both lived in Clarkson until their deaths. Jean Lindsay was a long-time volunteer at Benares Historic House and was a friend of Barbara Sayers Larson when they were young.
Percy Warburton Hodgetts (1878-1966) and his friend Alexander Westervelt purchased 20 acres of land in 1910 from Andrew Orr. The land was located on the west side of Clarkson Road South (Lot 29, Con. 3). Percy and Alexander planned to divide the land and tossed a coin to see which half they would get. Alexander got the property that had Bush's Inn on it (one-time home of Captain Sutherland and his family who are related to the Harris family of Benares). Percy built a large home on the bank of the creek that became known as Hodgetts Creek since it ran through their property and emptied into the Rattray Marsh (now called Sheridan Creek). Percy received a Bachelor of Science and Agriculture degree in 1897 from the Ontario Agricultural College in Guelph. He was appointed to the Provincial Department of Agriculture in 1902 and acted as the secretary for the Ontario Fruit Growers Association (1904). Later he was appointed to Head Director (1908). Percy was an active member of the Carmen Methodist Church. Percy Hodgetts married Emily Mae Hendison (1879-1944). They had three children: Agnes, Jack, and Jean Hodgetts.