Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1388 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Washing Instructions for Fownes Gloves
Identifier: 2006.12.12.2
Donor: Phyllis Maybee
Item Date: 1884
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A small card printed with instructions for washing "Fownes Gloves". The card is 'manila' coloured, card weight paper. It is die cut with rounded corners. The printing is in a dark red ink. History: The card accompanied gloves accessioned as 2006.12.12.1. The name "Fownes", the manufacturer of these gloves, derives from John Fownes, the man responsible for originally building the Victorian Glove Factory in 1882. The firm called "Fownes Gloves" was established in London in 1877 and moved to Worcester in 1887. At that time the Fownes Glove Company employed more than 1,000 people and was one of the world's leading glove makers with offices and factories in many parts of the world. Following the decline of the glove industry due to change in fashion, the business and manufacture of gloves was transferred to Warminster in Wiltshire in 1974 and the building became derelict. Phyllis Marion Maybee, née Fryer, was born June 11, 1905 in West Toronto, but lived most of her life in Port Credit. Her father, John Harry Fryer, built a house at 1235 Minaki Drive (off Mineola Road) in Port Credit c. 1922. She lived here during her childhood and even rented this home for a few years once she was married. The house was a Dutch Colonial style and the ownership was transferred to Marguerite Patricia Fryer in 1967. The land was subdivided in 1988 with the intent to demolish it. Legend Homes has owned it since 2005 and it was illegally torn down recently. Mr. Fryer apparently '" or 'beautiful country' according to the Heritage Impact Statement created by LACAC. Phyllis married Gareth Edward (Garry) Maybee on August 27, 1927 at Trinity Anglican Church and they had 68 years together. G. Maybee was born on June 9, 1902 in Toronto but his family moved to Port Credit and they lived on Stavebank Road. He graduated from U of T in 1924 and Osgoode Law School in 1927. Upon graduation he entered his father's patent practice, Ridout and Maybee. The Maybees had three daughters, Jane Stock, Nancy Archer and Lynn Watson. Phyllis and her husband lived at 88 Cumberland Drive in Port Credit since about June 1944. Recently she was moved to a nursing home in Chelsea. Mrs. Maybee celebrated her 101st birthday in June 2006 and has lived most of these years in Port Credit.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850