Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 747 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Petticoat
Identifier: 2006.12.13
Donor: Phyllis Maybee
Item Date: 1895-1905
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A thin white petticoat of cotton lawn. There is a large wide (39.0 cm) frill at the bottom. The skirt down to the frill ends in two horizontal tucks. A 7.0 mm band of lace ('entre deux') attaches the frill to the top half of the slip. The frill is gathered and is made of fine cotton that is decorated with vertical bands of embroidered and cut-work daisies. The bottom edge of the frill is scalloped. There is a string tie at the waist and the opening at the back is 23.0 cm long. The frill on this slip is lined. The lining ends in a short 9.0 cm. frill with a scalloped edge. History: Phyllis Marion Maybee, née Fryer, was born June 11, 1905 in West Toronto, but lived most of her life in Port Credit. Her father, John Harry Fryer, built a house at 1235 Minaki Drive (off Mineola Road) in Port Credit c. 1922. She lived here during her childhood and even rented this home for a few years once she was married. The house was a Dutch Colonial style and the ownership was transferred to Marguerite Patricia Fryer in 1967. The land was subdivided in 1988 with the intent to demolish it. Legend Homes has owned it since 2005 and it was illegally torn down recently. Mr. Fryer apparently named the street Minaki after a northern Ontario lodge. It is an aboriginal word meaning 'all good land' or 'beautiful country' according to the Heritage Impact Statement created by LACAC. Phyllis married Gareth Edward (Garry) Maybee on August 27, 1927 at Trinity Anglican Church and they had 68 years together. G. Maybee was born on June 9, 1902 in Toronto but his family moved to Port Credit where they lived on Stavebank Road. He graduated from U of T in 1924 and Osgoode Law School in 1927. Upon graduation he entered his father's patent practice, Ridout and Maybee. The Maybees had three daughters, Jane Stock, Nancy Archer and Lynn Watson. Phyllis and her husband lived at 88 Cumberland Drive in Port Credit since about June 1944. She was recently moved to a nursing home in Chelsea. Mrs. Maybee celebrated her 101st birthday in June 2006 and has lived most of these years in Port Credit.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851