Historic Images Gallery - New!
Displaying image 1235 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
  View Full size image
Title: Tea Gown
Identifier: 2006.12.14
Donor: Phyllis Maybee
Item Date: 1900
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A full length, white eyelet lady's tea dress with pin-tucked panels and lace inserts. The waist is 23 inches. The dress is commercially constructed of 3 pieces with raglan sleeves and an added flounce. The stand-up collar (7.5 cm) is made of 4 pieces: 1.0 cm fabric, 2.0 cm lace, 2.5 cm eyelet, and a second 2.0 cm of lace. There are 3 collar stays 8.0 x 0.7 cm of a deep yellow transparent material, possibly Bakelite, tacked in place. The bodice is made of 5 pieces: a V-shaped eyelet (7.0 cm at centre front) a 2.0 cm lace, a 8.5 cm pin tuck (0.8 cm interval) a second 2.0 cm lace, and a 13.0 cm eyelet. The shoulders/sleeves have the same 5 pieces, plus 4 additional pieces: 2.0 cm lace, 3.7 cm pin tuck, 2.0 cm lace and 2.0 cm fabric. The lower edge of the bodice is gathered onto the waist, at the centre front and the middle of each back panel. The waist is made of 3 pieces: a 2.0 cm lace, a 2.0 cm eyelet, and a second 2.0 cm lace. The skirt is made of one large piece of eyelet (80.0 cm long) A-line in shape with 2 gores added at the centre back (44.0 x 24.0 cm). The top of the skirt has 4 darts, each about 12.0 cm long. The added flounce is made of wide eyelet border fabric, finished length 23.0 cm. A folded length of bias cut fabric 5.5 cm deep is at the join of the skirt and the flounce. The bias is not gathered, the flounce is slightly gathered. The flounce is machine stitched to the skirt but the raw edges are unfinished, this indicates the flounce has been used to adjust the overall length. The back opening has a narrow fabric facing, 14 machine finished button holes, and 14, 0.8 cm 2-hole buttons of mother-of-pearl. There are 2 crochet-covered buttons as trim at the centre front, and on each shoulder 1.5 cm flattened spheres. History: Phyllis Marion Maybee, née Fryer, was born June 11, 1905 in West Toronto, but lived most of her life in Port Credit. Her father, John Harry Fryer, built a house at 1235 Minaki Drive (off Mineola Road) in Port Credit c. 1922. She lived here during her childhood and even rented this home for a few years once she was married. The house was a Dutch Colonial style and the ownership was transferred to Marguerite Patricia Fryer in 1967. The land was subdivided in 1988 with the intent to demolish it. Legend Homes has owned it since 2005 and it was illegally torn down recently. Mr. Fryer apparently named the street Minaki after a northern Ontario lodge. It is an aboriginal word meaning 'all good land' or 'beautiful country' according to the Heritage Impact Statement created by LACAC. Phyllis married Gareth Edward (Garry) Maybee on August 27, 1927 at Trinity Anglican Church and they had 68 years together. G. Maybee was born on June 9, 1902 in Toronto but his family moved to Port Credit where they lived on Stavebank Road. He graduated from U of T in 1924 and Osgoode Law School in 1927. Upon graduation he entered his father's patent practice, Ridout and Maybee. The Maybees had three daughters, Jane Stock, Nancy Archer and Lynn Watson. Phyllis and her husband lived at 88 Cumberland Drive in Port Credit since about June 1944. She was recently moved to a nursing home in Chelsea. Mrs. Maybee celebrated her 101st birthday in June 2006 and has lived most of these years in Port Credit.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)