|Description: A wood frame tennis racket with catgut strings. The racket head is oval-shaped with interior dimensions of 30.3 x 19.5 cm. All strings are natural with a dyed green twist. There are 20 verticals and 20 horizontals, plus 3 red dyed additional horizontals (cotton?) at the top and bottom. The frame is reinforced with steel wire on both sides at the throat. The handle is rectangular at the top, octagonal and finely ridged at the grip. The handle base is leather wrapped with 7 tiny nails. On the throat at the front is impressed: “The Royal George” and scratched below “HMT”. On the throat on the proper right side is impressed “M”. On the handle at the top of the grip on the proper right side is impressed “Made in England”. On the heel in gold is “In use” and “Press”.
History: The tennis racket was donated by Della Williams. It was used by Bessie Patterson and may have belonged to her aunt. When Bessie Patterson moved away she gave the tennis racket to Della. Della, her husband Orvel, and neighbour Bessie Patterson, were all members of the Orchard Heights Tennis Club since it opened in the 1950s. The Williams and the Pattersons were some of the first families to move into the Orchard Heights subdivision. Della and Orvel moved in on Oct. 16, 1954, the day Hurricane Hazel hit.