|Description: A rectangular wooden press for a tennis racket. The frame is made of 2 open rectangles with spring clamps in 3 corners and hinge mounted wing nut bolt in lower proper left corner. Each rectangle is made of 4 pieces of wood with mortise joins at the corners. The spring clamps consist of a 7 x .5 cm bolt, a coil spring, a circular nut, and a wing nut. The opening corner clamp has the same bolt and wing nut. The hinge is mounted on the lower frame with 2 small screws with square slots. The slot on the upper frame has a u-shaped cover, mounted the same way. “Made in Canada” is stamped in black ink on the upper frame's, lower side.
History: This racket press was donated by Della Williams. It was used by Bessie Patterson and may have belonged to her aunt. When Bessie Patterson moved away she gave the tennis racket (2006.8.2.1) and press to Della. Della, her husband Orvel, and neighbour Bessie Patterson, were all members of the Orchard Heights Tennis Club since it opened in the 1950s. The Williams and the Pattersons were some of the first families to move into Orchard Heights subdivision. Della and Orvel moved in on Oct. 16, 1954, the day Hurricane Hazel hit.