Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1265 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Tennis Racket
Identifier: 2006.8.1
Donor: Della Williams
Item Date: 1945-1955
Creation Date: 2007
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A wood frame tennis racket with catgut strings. The racket head is oval-shaped, flattened at the top (interior dimensions are 82.3 x 20.2 cm). The vertical strings (20) are natural coloured; the horizontal strings (23) are dyed green. The cotton additional string stubs are painted red. The frame is reinforced with steel wire at the throat and at 3 spots on the lower half. The handle is rectangular at the top, octagonal and finely ridged at the grip. The handle base is leather-wrapped with 7 tiny nails. On the throat at the front is impressed: “Schaefer Sports LAUSANNE”. On the throat at the back is impressed: “Waterproof”. On the throat at the proper right side is impressed: “43”. On the handle just above the grip on the proper left side is impressed: “2(?) 474”. On the heel in gold ink is: “WHE” (??) and “Please Keep in (???)” History: The item was donated by Della Williams. The tennis racket was used by Bessie Patterson and may have belonged to her aunt. When Bessie moved away she gave the tennis racket to Della. Della, her husband Orvel, and neighbour Bessie Patterson were all members of the Orchard Heights Tennis Club since it opened in the 1950s. The Williams and the Pattersons were some of the first families to move into the Orchard Heights subdivision. Della and Orvel moved in on Oct. 16, 1954, the day Hurricane Hazel hit.
Copyright: Museums of Mississuaga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851