Historic Images Gallery - New!
Displaying image 5 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Anniversary Button Pin
  View Full size image
Title: Anniversary Button Pin
Identifier: 2002.1.86
Donor: Bill Gray
Item Date: 1989
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2007
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A round metal button pin. Pin is metal with a royal blue background with yellow lettering. Printed in yellow is "St. Lawrence Starch, 100, 1889 Anniversary 1989". The two zeros in 100 over lap and there is a stylized cob of corn in the middle. The back side of the pin is silver and has two round holes for the pin to attach.

History: The St. Lawrence Starch Company was founded in 1889 by John Gray. It was a corn wet-milling operation with the purpose of producing starch and glucose from corn. Many of the product lines produced by St. Lawrence Starch are still in use today such as Durham Starch and Bee Hive Corn Syrup. Food products were only a small portion of the business done at St. Lawrence Starch as starch is an additive in many industrial products such as cement and plastic.

St. Lawrence Starch was located at the foot of Hurontario Street at Lakeshore Road in Port Credit. It was a major industry for this area. The milling operation closed down in 1990 due to competition and high tariffs on corn. In 1993 St. Lawrence Starch announced a marketing alliance with Cargill, Minneapolis, which provides Cargill with exclusive sales services of corn sweeteners and corn starches in the Canadian Market. For more information on the St Lawrence Starch Company, see "St Lawrence Starch 100 Years 1889-1989".
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Museums of Mississauga
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)