|Description: A black and white photograph of man standing in a hay wagon in front of a barn. “Harry Norman Farm, Erindale, ON” is written in blue ink on the back.
History: The use of scythes was replaced originally by horse-drawn, then by tractor drawn mowers, and reapers, (machines that cut the hay or grain), and later by binders which could cut and tie bundles of crops, or sheaves, in one operation.
This photograph shows the donor's father, Edward Henry ( Harry ) Norman, loading hay into his barn c. 1930. Norman is using the wooden pulley (996.1.7) and hayfork (996.1.3) also donated in this accession.
The donor, Edward C. Norman, assisted his father (Edward Henry Norman but known as Harry) who bought the farm in 1920 with his friend Walter after returning from WWI. The farm was 27 acres and was located on the south side of Dundas Street on the east side of the present day Woodchester Mall. The Normans were market farmers living off their crops which included some soft fruit, row crops, 1000 laying chickens and one cow. The Normans raised Leghorn and later Leghorn-Wyndotte cross hens. They sold their eggs to local stores and drop in customers from Toronto. The farm was sold to United Lands Corporation in 1962.