Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1064 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Press Package: St. Lawrence Starch Ltd.
Identifier: 2002.1.95
Donor: Bill Gray
Item Date: 1989
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2007
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A press package for the St. Lawrence Starch Company. a) A glossy cardboard folder, with a close-up coloured photograph of a cob of corn. At the top is the company logo. The back has two coloured photographs, both of various beverages. To the right is information concerning ‘Satisfying Customer Needs.’ At the bottom is the head office information. Inside the folder are more coloured photographs and information, including the factory process, the products, and the people. b) A paper insert on Industrial Starches. The print is in black and fuchsia. c) A paper insert on Specialty Food Starches. The print is in black and blue. d) A paper insert, folded, on Glucose Products. The print is in black and purple. e) A business card belonging to Godfrey Aedy, a Technical Sales Representative. The card has the anniversary logo, celebrating 100 years (1889-1989). f) A blank postcard, with a coloured image of the St. Lawrence Starch Factory, taken from the air. Lake Ontario is visible in the background. The back of the postcard contains a side on the right for the address, and on the left a form to be filled out. The form reads, ‘Mr. __________, our representative Mr. _________________ will call on you on or about ________________. Many thanks for your courtesies.’ Above this form reads, ‘St. Lawrence Starch Company Limited, Port Credit, Ontario, Canada, Tel. Toronto 274-3671.’ The bottom reads, ‘© Copyright by H. Oakman, Peterborough. C-24960.’ The postcard was published by the Peterborough Post Card Company, Peterborough, Canada. History: The St. Lawrence Starch Company was founded in 1889 by John Gray. It was a corn wet-milling operation with the purpose of producing starch and glucose from corn. Many of the product lines produced by St. Lawrence Starch are still in use today such as Durham Starch and Bee Hive Corn Syrup. Food products were only a small portion of the business done at St. Lawrence Starch as starch is an additive in many industrial products such as cement and plastic.

St. Lawrence Starch was located at the foot of Hurontario Street at Lakeshore Road in Port Credit. It was a major industry for this area. The milling operation closed down in 1990 due to competition and high tariffs on corn. In 1993 St. Lawrence Starch announced a marketing alliance with Cargill, Minneapolis, which provides Cargill with exclusive sales services of corn sweeteners and corn starches in the Canadian Market. For more information on the St Lawrence Starch Company, see _St Lawrence Starch 100 Years 1889-1989_.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851