|Description: A multicoloured log cabin quilt with predominantly brown tones and solid colours (some blue, purple, red, and green, as well as some paisley and checkerboard prints). All centre squares are red, the border is brown, and the backing is greyish with blue and brown stripes.
History: Log Cabin quilt donated by Wilmer Greeniaus, the great great grandson of Sebastian Greeniaus. Wilmer grew up on the land originally settled by Sebastian and later generations of his family. Wilmer’s father, Norman, sold the land to the United Lands Corporation for the development of the Park Royal Subdivision that opened in 1958. The quilt belonged to his grandmother Catherine Greeniaus née Kennedy, second wife of Gaylord Greeniaus.
Gaylord Greeniaus (1827-1893) was the son of Elizabeth Ann Greeniaus née Oliphant (1803-1866) and Peter (1797-1871) and grandson to Sebastian (1761-1847) and Eve (1766-1844) Greeniaus who were early settlers in Toronto Township. Sebastian was a United Empire Loyalist who emigrated from the United States to Toronto Township around 1806. He fulfilled his settlement duties on June 27, 1808 which allowed him to get a second land grant of 200 acres on July 1, 1808.
Gaylord was born and lived all his life on the farm his grandfather established located on the 2nd Concession, south side, Dundas Street, in Toronto Township (area later known as Sheridan before becoming part of Clarkson). Gaylord was a farmer and was a notable exhibitor at all principal Ontario fairs winning many medals for his cereals, fruit, and apiary products. He was a staunch Conservative and a member of the Methodist Church in Clarkson which later became the Carman Methodist Episcopal Church (now Christ Church). As a neighbour he was described as “eminently sociable and always ready to lend a helping hand in time of need”. He was married to Selina Merigold (d- 1855) and Catherine Kennedy (1832-1920). Gaylord had five children, Norman, Sophora, Charles, William, and Arletta. Gaylord Greeniaus is buried in Spring Creek Cemetery in Clarkson.
Information from the Barnett Scrapbooks, Canadiana Room, Mississauga Library Systems. Also see Kathleen Hicks “Clarkson and its Many Corners” Mississauga Library Systems, 2002.