Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Aerial Photograph of Toronto Township
  View Full size image
Title: Aerial Photograph - southern Clarkson area
Identifier: 2008.1.17
Donor: Purchase
Item Date: 1953-1960
Image Creator: Department of Energy, Mines and Resources
Creation Date: 2013
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A large black and white photograph with white borders all around. An aerial photograph of the Clarkson area of Toronto Township taken by the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources. The photograph shows the southern east half of the Township and shows the British-American Oil Refinery, Texaco Refinery, Meadow Wood Road South, Bob-O-Link Road, Watersedge Road, Upper Lane, as well as land where the Bradley Museum, The Anchorage and the Log Cabin now sit. Marked on one side of the border is the following, all in capital letters:' Her Majesty The Queen in Right of Canada. Department of Energy, Mines, and Resources'. The French translation is marked on the opposite side of the border.

History: Photograph was taken from the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources.
Prior to its incorporation in 1974, Mississauga was known as Toronto Township. This portion of Toronto Township shows an area of land that was first settled in 1811 by Loyalist families and was also known as 'Merigold's Point'. The photograph also shows a view of British- American Oil Refinery, located on 385 Southdown Road. B.A. Refinery was the first refinery in the Lakeshore area west of Hurontario Street and first opened in 1943 in the Clarkson area. In 1969 the company would change its name to Gulf Oil, Petro-Canada and is known today as Suncor.
The British-American Oil Refinery sold a portion of its land to the Toronto Township to establish the Bradley Museum.
Copyright: Department of Energy, Mines and Resources
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Museums of Mississauga
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851