Jarvis Family Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 16 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Photograph - The Anchorage
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph - The Anchorage
Identifier: 2006.4.15.2
Donor: City of Mississauga
Item Date: 1992
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A colour photograph of the front view of the Anchorage building. A garden surrounds the front of the house and there is a set of stairs with wooden railings that lead to the front door. There is wooden fence that is to the proper right of the building and a set of doors that lead to the basement; one of them is open.

The Anchorage was built by James W. Taylor (ca. 1830) and called the Anchorage by one of its owners, Commander John Skynner, who came to settle in the area in 1839. The house was originally located on Southdown Road by the lakeshore on land that was originally granted to the Jarvis family.

This one and a half storey Regency Style House is basically rectangular in plan with a small enclosed porch to the rear and an accretion to the west side. A full basement underlies the first floor. The medium pitched hipped roof has large eaves, underneath which the rafters show. There are two internally bracketed brick chimneys on either side of the house. The foundation was rebuilt when the building was moved to 1620 Orr Road. The Anchorage was once covered in brick before it was moved in the 1970s. There are two segmental windows on either side of the front door. A twelve over twelve pane, double hung window appears on the western addition, but most other windows have only eighteen panes in total.

Information taken from Property Heritage Detail in the City of Mississauga website.

The moving of the Anchorage to the Bradley Museum site occurred in June of 1978 and cost about $ 55,000.00 to move the building over a 7 hour period. The move was accomplished by Stanwal and House Movers of Toronto and was assisted by the help of various employees and volunteers from Mississauga Hydro, Bell Canada, Peel Regional Police, Recreation and Parks, Terracom and CN.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850