Jewellery Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 11 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Brooch
Identifier: 2005.1.12
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: c.1880
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2005
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A 9 carat yellow gold stamped circular belt brooch with filigree wire design. It is set with eight half bluish white pearls and four oval faceted purplish red garnets. There is a folded roundish piece that is off to one side and has a hole in the centre where something else may have been attached. Similar in style to 979.6.1188. May be a set.

History: Kathleen Agnes Sayers neť Colloton (1907 -1981) was the wife of Geoffrey Sayers. Kathleen, known as Kay, married Geoffrey in 1933 at St. Peterís Anglican Church in Erindale. Kay and Geoffrey never had any children and were the last Harris relatives to live at Benares. This jewellery was part of Kay Sayers Estate and was donated by Geoffrey Sayers. Many of these pieces were originally from inheritances through the Harris and Draper families.
Parure is a matching set of jewellery usually a necklace, brooch, earrings, and a bracelet. Parures were popular in the 18th and 19th centuries. Demi-parures are smaller sets of jewellery such as earrings and a brooch or earrings and a necklace.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississuaga
pcomapp01:8851