|Description: Black and white glossy photo of a group of boys getting ready to play some tennis inside a gym at Lorne Park Secondary School. There are two boys on the court, while there are six others on the side just holding their tennis rackets. On the wall of the gym are painted words: "Home of the Spartans".|
Lorne Park Secondary School is located at 1324 Lorne Park Road and was built on a 13 1/2 lot that cost $32,469. It was originally built in 1957, with additions done in 1962, 1964 and 1972.
During the mid-1950's, there was a huge increase in the South Mississauga population and there was need for additional high schools in the area, besides Port Credit High School. The South Peel Board of Education decided to expand Port Credit High school and build and open two other schools, T. L. Kennedy and Gordon Graydon. It was then decided for a fourth high school was to be built in the Clarkson/ Lorne Park area, but not until 1958. However, because fire damaged Port Credit Secondary in 1957, construction of Lorne Park Secondary began ahead of schedule and was able to be completed within a year. The original building had 12 classrooms along with a variety of specialized rooms including a shop, library, music room, art room, home economics room, cafeteria and gymnasium. The school held an official opening on Friday, March 7th, 1958 but opened in January with students transferring form T.L Kennedy Herschel.
Lorne Park Secondary School is renowned for their athletics department, where they call the various team members Spartans.