Lorne Park Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 14 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Photograph- Tom Weaver, Alfred Weaver Jr. and Mr. Ellis, Lorne Park
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph- Tom Weaver, Alfred Weaver Jr. and Mr. Ellis, Lorne Park
Identifier: 2003.1.15
Donor: Dawna Courtney
Item Date: 1968
Creation Date: 2008
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A colour photograph of Mr. Ellis (left), Tom Weaver (centre), and Alfred Weaver Jr. (right).

History: Alfred Weaver owned and operated the General Store in Lorne Park, which he had bought from Clarence Albertson. The store was located on Lorne Park Road near the railway tracks. Alfred Weaver Sr. lived with his family beside the store. Alfred and his wife had 6 children. On 19 June 1930, Alfred Weaver Sr. became the full time Lorne Park postmaster. The post office was located in the back of his store. This was later moved once Lorne Park became a 'full-fledged post office’. Alfred Sr. resigned as postmaster in 1948. Alfred Weaver Jr. assumed the Postmaster duties the next day. In 1953, the Lorne Park Post Office was built. A special celebration marked the opening of this post office. In May 1961, the post office was changed to a sub-office and the residents of Lorne Park now had to give their address as Port Credit. Alfred Jr. and Thomas Weaver owned and operated the Lorne Park General Store and Post Office under the name Weaver Bros. Ca. 1935. Thomas Weaver was the father of the donor, Dawna Courtney. Thomas and his wife had four children: Dawna, David, Dianna, and Tom. Dawna's mother never worked in the grocery store and was a house wife. Dawna remembers her dad as "being a very neat guy". In the 1960s, the Weaver's expanded their business. Construction was undertaken to make the store larger and there was a hardware store, pharmacy, grocery store and the post office. The people involved in the expansion were Thomas Weaver, Alfred Weaver Jr., Norm Bolton, and Mr. Ellis. They owned the operation up until 1968. Thomas Weaver died in 1998, and Alfred died in 1999.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851