Lustreware Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Lustreware Teacup
Identifier: 977.11.1-12
Donor: Mr. B.V. Hussey
Item Date: c. 1820-1830
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: Museums of Mississauga
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A hand painted teacup with a centre band of pink lustre with two groups of six daisy like flowers painted orange with green centres. There are three sets of green ivy like leaves and a thin twisting line pattern scratched into the lustre. The base colour of the tea cup is white. The handle is white with a pink lustre stripe. History: The cups are from England c 1820-30. General consensus confirms lusterware originated in Baghdad around the 9th century. Gradually the technique of applying a decorative metallic glaze to pottery made its way into Egypt, and by the 13th century, lusterware was being produced in Moorish Spain. The lusterware industry survived the collapse of Arab rule in Spain during the 15th century. At that time, lusterware incorporated both Islamic and Christian influences of design. The technique made its way into Italy and other parts of Europe, but it did not become popular in England until the mid 19th century.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850