Magrath Family Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 7 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Document: Draft of Marriage Settlement between Thomas Magrath and Louisa Davys
  View Full size image
Title: Document: Draft of Marriage Settlement between Thomas Magrath and Louisa Davys
Identifier: 2004.2.274
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: 1831
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A draft of the marriage settlement between Thomas Magrath and Louisa Davys, August 1831. The draft is written out by hand, with black ink, on large beige paper. Because this is a draft, there are quite a few mistakes, which have been crossed out and/or changed. The draft is 7 pages long. Both sides are written on, except pages 6 & 7. Page 6 is the last page of the draft, and is only on one side. The 7th page served as the seal. In black ink is written, 'Date Augt. 1831. Draft Marriage Settlement. Thos. Magrath, Esq. 1st pr. Chr. Davys, Esq. 2nd pr. Rob Callagrath, Esq. 3rd. Louisa C. Davys, Spinster, 4 pr. The Rev. Hailor, Henry & Mrs. Davys, 5th pr.' According to the draft, 800 pounds was paid by Christopher Davys, Lousia's father, on behalf of Thomas towards a property. An additional 200 pounds was paid to Thomas. There is also a metal pin, which was used to hold the draft together.

Thomas Magrath was born in Ireland in 1804. In 1832 he went back to Ireland to act as Agent for the Magrath properties and stayed two years. Thomas served in the military first as a Captain and then as Lieutenant Colonel helping to enlist men during the Rebellion of 1837. In 1840 Thomas married Wilhelmina Rose and they had one son, James Frederick (1843-1902). In 1851 Thomas moved to Niagara-on-the-Lake where he lived until his death in 1886.

The item is part of a box of original papers, letters, transcripts and research notes complied and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloton) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf of the Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artifacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves. Along with sisters Dora Sayers and Barbara Sayers Larson, Geoff donated Benares to the Museums of Mississauga in 1995.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851