|Description: An agreement between Peter Longworth of Ashlone and James Acton of Ashlone, involving a section of land leased by the Rev. Dr. Arthur St. George in 1757. The indenture is on beige paper, folded. It is two pages, with the first page written on both sides, and the second page written on one side. The back of the second page only has some writing on it, reading, 'Date 24 April 1765, Longworth to Acton, Deed of ? Of a lease. Lyon's Plott in N. Gate.' The front page was cut at the top, creating a decorative design. The end of the indenture has the official stamp (red). It is signed by Peter Longworth, in the presence of Arthur Boswell, William Robinson, and a signature illegible, but most likely James Acton. |
The Magrath family owned a piece of land in Ashlone
The item is part of a box of original papers, letters, transcripts and research notes complied and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloton) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf of the Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artifacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves. Along with sisters Dora Sayers and Barbara Sayers Larson, Geoff donated Benares to the Museums of Mississauga in 1995.