Postcards Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 9 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Postcard - "Trintiy Church - Port Credit"
Identifier: 976.1.55
Item Date: 1913
Image Creator: Canadian Souvenir Postcard, Phillips & Wrinch Lim
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A black and white post card with a photograph of a church with a wooden picket fence and mature trees. The image is surrounded with flowers and scrolls. “Trinity Church- Port Credit. Rector-Rev. H.V. Thompson, M.A.” The back of the photograph is printed in black ink and says “Canadian Souvenir Post Card, Phillips & Wrinch, Limited, Toronto,.” . History: The Trinity Anglican Church in Port Credit was founded in 1867. Prior to this date, Anglicans in the village of Port Credit gathered in each others homes for services. In the fall of 1866, Rev. Charles Bethune was appointed to run the ‘Credit Mission’, which included St. Peter's Anglican Church in Erindale, St. John's Anglican Church in Dixie along with Trinity. Rev. Bethune held services for the Port Credit residents in a hall over a livery stable. James Hamilton, a local merchant gave land for the church. The original church was made of wood with white vertical siding and a small tower. In 1918, the church was renovated with a basement and veneered brick. By 1931, the tower porch was added. The stone structure that is used today was completed in 1955. Rector- Rev. H.V. Thompson was the reverend at Trinity from 1907-1914.For more information go to www.titanrainbow.com/trinity/archives.html.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851