Postcards Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 11 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Postcard-Burleigh Falls
Identifier: 1998.1.106.128
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: 1907
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A private postcard addressed to Miss Harris, 'Benares', Clarkson's, Ontario. The message reads: 'These cottages belong to the hotel. The Stricklands are now at theirs, is ? near here, want us to go over and see there. Mrs. S. and Dad got the largest fish in our party - 6 1/2 lbs. Hope you are pretty well and not too lonely - we are having a terribly lazy time. Baby is very well, being bothered with his teeth coming. Love from Na.' There is a green, one cent, Canadian stamp postmarked BURLEIGH FALLS SP 11 07 ONT. The front has a black and white photograph of three cottages that people can stay at in Burleigh Falls. Below the picture is the title in black print. To the right, another message is written, reading: 'Can't write you a letter as there is nothing to say, but send these to say we are all well and hope you both are the same.' History: Postcards are quite collectible and have appraisal values based on specifics of the postcards. Information to note about a postcard is its publishing information, copyright dates, an artist's signature, a series number, and/or subject matter. Greeting postcards are especially worth noting, for specific holidays such as Valentine's Day, Halloween, etc. For further research on the value of postcards, see J. L. Mashburn. "The Postcard Price Guide: A Comprehensive Reference" Third Edition. Enka, North Carolina: Colonial House, 1997. Naomi Harris (1883-1968) was born in 1883, to Arthur and Mary Harris (née Magrath), of Benares. Naomi and her older sister Annie were raised in an atmosphere of upper middle class comfort. They were educated at home by governesses, and then were sent to Miss Dupont's School for Ladies in Toronto, where they stayed with their aunts throughout the week. As Annie and Naomi grew up, Benares was a frequent area for lawn tennis matches, weekend parties, and croquet games on the lawn. Naomi never married and lived at Benares her whole life. She helped to take care of her mother, and continued to live alone in the house for 14 years after Mary’s death in 1954. Naomi was the mark of affection for many suitors. It was thought that Naomi was engaged, sometime between 1908 and 1912, to the family’s physician, Dr. Arthur Sutton. He was the first doctor to open an office in Port Credit. Naomi broke off the engagement, but the parting must have been amicable because Sutton continued on as the family’s doctor, and later renewed a friendship with her after his wife's death. Naomi was a life long member of St Peter's Anglican Church in Erindale, where she was an integral part of the church's many activities. Archdeacon Banks, the former rector of St. Peter's, spoke of Miss Harris' deep attachment to St. Peter's, her love of people, her unfailing interest in the children of the Sunday School and her work with the women's auxiliary during her funeral service in May, 1968. Naomi willed Benares to her two nieces and nephew who donated the estate and most of its contents to The Ontario Heritage Foundation. Ownership was later transferred to the City of Mississauga who have operated Benares as a museum since 1995. This item was donated by Geoffrey Harris Sayers, who was born 23 April 1907 and died 25 November 1997. A retired businessman, he was the first child of Beverly and Annie Sayers (née Harris). A member of the Canadian Armed Forces, he was appointed 2nd Lieutenant 14 June 1938. Two years later, he was appointed Lieutenant. As of 21 April 1941, he was appointed the rank of Temporary Captain, and was recommended for appointment to the Lorne Scots (P. D. and H. Regiment) based out of Brampton. According to his military file, Captain Geoffrey Sayers served with the Canadian Forces from 21 April 1941 until 11 October 1945, when he was honourably discharged. From 17 June 1941 until 13 March 1945, he also served with the British Forces (he had British citizenship). He received the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp 1939-45. Geoffrey Saye
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851