|Description: A postcard, addressed to 'Mrs. Harris, Benares, Clarkson, Ontario'. The message reads, 'Dearest Aunt M., Received yr letter this a.m. Thank you very much. Will be out D.V. on Tuesday by 5.30. Lovingly, M.E.C.' There is a green, one cent Canadian stamp, post marked Toronto. The illustration is a colourtype of Bloor Street. To the right is the bell tower of a church, which is the Bloor Street United Church, 300 Bloor St. West. Visible on the street are horse and buggies, as well as a street car. Trees line the street. In the bottom right corner reads, '101,785 J.V.' The title reads, "Bloor Street looking West. Toronto, Canada". The postcard was published by The Valentine & Sons' Publishing Co., Ltd.
History: Postcards are quite collectible and have appraisal values based on specifics of the postcards. Information to note about a postcard is its publishing information, copyright dates, an artist's signature, a series number, and/or subject matter. Greeting postcards are especially worth noting, for specific holidays such as Valentine's Day, Hallowe'en, etc. For further research on the value of postcards, see J. L. Mashburn. "The Postcard Price Guide: A Comprehensive Reference" Third Edition. Enka, North Carolina: Colonial House, 1997.
Depicting King Edward VII, this stamp was issued 1 July 1903. Queen Victoria died on 22 January 1901, and steps were taken to create a new stamp bearing the likeness of His Majesty. This did not happen for over two years. 1,470,000,000 were printed by the American Bank Note Company in Ottawa. Through a suggestion by the Prince of Wales, a new die process was initiated for this stamp, and then for all subsequent stamps. Also, for the first time, the crown was placed on the regular issue of Canadian postage stamps, meant to be decorative and symbolic. Based on a die by John Augustus Charles Harrison, designed by J. A. Tilleard and Prince George, and based on a photograph by W. & D. Downey, this image of His Majesty was taken shortly after his coronation. (www.collectionscanada.ca – The Canadian Postal Archives, National Archives of Canada).
This item was donated by Geoffrey Harris Sayers, who was born 23 April 1907 and died 25 November 1997. A retired businessman, he was the first child of Beverly and Annie Sayers (née Harris). A member of the Canadian Armed Forces, he was appointed 2nd Lieutenant 14 June 1938. Two years later, he was appointed Lieutenant. As of 21 April 1941, he was appointed the rank of Temporary Captain, and was recommended for appointment to the Lorne Scots (P. D. and H. Regiment) based out of Brampton. According to his military file, Captain Geoffrey Sayers served with the Canadian Forces from 21 April 1941 until 11 October 1945, when he was honourably discharged. From 17 June 1941 until 13 March 1945, he also served with the British Forces (he had British citizenship). He received the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp 1939-45.|
Geoffrey Sayers and his sisters, Dora Sayers Caro, and Barbara Sayers Larson donated Benares Historic House to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969. It has operated as a museum under the City of Mississauga since 1995 and was officially transferred to Mississauga in 2000. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloten) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf of the Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artefacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves.