|Description: An envelope containing a copy of “The Canadian Law Times”. (a) A plain envelope, with 'Return to North American Life Assurance Company at point of mailing' printed in the upper left corner. Across the front in capital letters and in blue ink reads, 'CAN LAW TIMES GRANT'. (b) “The Canadian Law Times”, January 1899. At the top of the page, in blue ink, is written, 'Grant p. 20 etc. Page 20 contains a editorial review of the late Alexander Grant, who was the Registrar of the Court of Chancery of Upper Canada and Ontario, and later the Registrar of the Court of Appeal for Ontario. He was an official at Osgoode Hall (Toronto University). The following pages contain newspaper cutouts which were glued into the law journal. This includes a photo and obituaries for the late Alexander Grant. This is followed by the obituaries for Charles S. Grant, Alexander's son. He was the Assistant Registrar of the Court of Appeals for Ontario. The next page has the obituary for John Small, who was the collector of Customs for Toronto. |
Alexander Grant was born April 28th 1813 and was the Registrar of the Court of Chancery of Upper Canada and Ontario, and later the Registrar of the Court of Appeal for Ontario. He was an official at Osgoode Hall (Toronto University). He was married to Annie Radenhurst. Grant’s daughter Mary Edith Grant (1849-1912) was a long time resident of Toronto and close friend of Kate Sayers, Helen Sayers and Edith Draper. Kate Sayers (nee Draper) was Beverly Draper Sayers mother and mother-in-law to Annie Sayers neé Harris.
The Carswell company was founded by Robert Carswell (1838-1928). Carswell moved to Toronto in 1864 and became a dealer of general law books in 1866. By 1872 he had moved to publishing and published his first book "Clarke’s Criminal Law". In 1891 the company became a joint stock company by the Carswell Company Limited. Robert Carswell was the president of the company until his death. Carswell continues to publish in the academic, scientific and commercial fields to this day. http://www.lib.uwo.ca/programs/companyinformationcanada/ccc-carswell.html
The item is part of a box of original papers, letters, transcripts and research notes complied and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloton) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf of the Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artifacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves. Along with sisters Dora Sayers and Barbara Sayers Larson, Geoff donated Benares to the Museums of Mississauga in 1995.