Sayers Family Gallery
Displaying image 60 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Golf Club
  View Full size image
Title: Golf Club
Identifier: 979.6.110
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: 1900-1920
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A golf club (putter). The head is metal and on the back is engraved "The Harold A. Wilson Co. Makers Toronto" inside a circle. The shaft is wood with leather wrapped around the base.

The earliest golf clubs would have been hand carved from wood. In 1502 King James commissioned a bow-maker to make him a set of clubs. Clubs would be carved by skilled crafts men with heads made out of hard woods like beech, pear, holly and apple and shafts made of ash and hazel. The head would be attached to the shaft using a splint and tightly bound leather straps. A typical set of clubs included at least 5 different clubs. The clubs were prone to breakage meaning a golfer had to have multiples of the same club. The cost of clubs meant that golf was a game for the upper classes. In 1826 hickory from America had become the wood of choice for shafts. Persimmon had become the choice wood for heads by 1900. Forged metal heads existed since the 1700ís and by the 1900ís aluminum had become popular as a material for club heads. It wasnít until 1920ís the steel shafts became widely used. After World War II composite and synthetic materials became widely used. In the 1960ís the casting method for club heads was created making clubs much more affordable, though professionals still use hand forged heads. Shafts are made of steel and graphite. The convention of numbering clubs rather than naming them dates from the 1930ís.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
   Virtual Museum of Canada