|Description: A pair of earrings and one singular earring. Each is about 5.5 x 2 cm. Each consists of a wire hoop (for pierced ears), and a decorative piece from which hangs a diamond shaped pendant. Each is in silver with inlayed agate designs. (a) is a single earring. It has blue agate in the upper decorative piece. There is a silver loop holding the pendant in place, (which is broken). (b - c) A pair of earrings. A blue/grey striated agate on upper piece, with agate appliquéd, rather than inlayed.
History: Scottish Pebble jewellery was popular from around 1840-1900 thanks in part to Queen Victoria's interest in all things Scottish. Her purchase of Balmoral Castle in the Scottish Highlands; her insistence of all guests of the Great Exhibition Ball in 1851 to wear Scottish kilts; and her book 'Leaves from the Journal of Our Life in the Highlands', helped to romanticize Scotland as a popular tourist destination and influenced fashion trends. See 'Victorian Jewellery - Unexplored Treasures', by Ginny Reddington Dawes and Corinne Davidov. Photographs by Tom Dawes. New York: Abbeville Press.
Items donated by Barbara Sayers Larson. Barbara Larson is the daughter of Annie Harris (1882-1986) and Beverly Sayers (1882-1976) and granddaughter of Arthur (1843-1932) and Mary (1859-1954) Harris. Barbara was born January 27, 1920 and was the youngest of three children. Barbara and her siblings, Geoffrey Sayers (1907-1997) and Dora Sayers Caro (1915-2004) donated Benares to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969 after inheriting it from their aunt, Naomi Harris (1883-1968). Many of the items donated by Barbara originally belonged to her mother or Aunt Naomi and came from Benares. Barbara lived in a log cabin originally given to her by her grandparents at 1723 Birchwood Drive. She still maintains a close tie with Benares and is now living in Kelowna, British Columbia, with her daughter.