|Description: A white, red and gold demitasse saucer. The saucer has a claret-red coloured band around the edge of the saucer with a white centre. There is a gold line around the rim and separating the red and white centre. There is a decorative gold design on the white centre that includes three lines and a scalloped pattern. "Soho Pottery, Ambassadorware, England" is written inside a circle with a 6-scalloped circumference on the bottom of the saucer.
979.6.391.1-.8-cups, .9.16 saucers. Marked on bottom is "SOHO POTTERY/ AMBASSADOR WARE/ ENGLAND", the number 5973 is also marked on the bottom and there are different potters' marks on the cups.
History: Soho Pottery Ltd. was established by S.J. Simpson in 1904 at Tunstall, England. The high quality of its Solian and Ambassador wares led to the take over of a substantially larger factory in Cobridge, England in 1918. S.J. Simpson died in 1918 and his business was run by his two sons, Sam and Tom. The company name changed to Simpsons (Potters) Ltd. in 1942. Tom took over the business after the death of his brother in 1944. Aside from running his business, Tom was President of the British Ceramic Society, a Fellow of the Institute of Ceramics and Chairman of the Earthenware Section of the British Pottery Research Association. His son, Robert became the General Manager and Director in 1947. See: www.my-earthenware.tripod.com.
This item was donated by Geoffrey Harris Sayers, who was born 23 April 1907 and died 25 November 1997. A retired businessman, he was the first child of Beverly and Annie Sayers (nee Harris). A member of the Canadian Armed Forces, he was appointed 2nd Lieutenant 14 June 1938. Two years later, he was appointed Lieutenant. As of 21 April 1941, he was appointed the rank of Temporary Captain, and was recommended for appointment to the Lorne Scots (P. D. and H. Regiment) based out of Brampton. According to his military file, Captain Geoffrey Sayers served with the Canadian Armed Forces from 21 April 1941 until 11 October 1945, when he was honourably discharged. From 17 June 1941 until 13 March 1945, he also served with the British Forces (he had British citizenship). He received the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp 1939-45.
Geoffrey Sayers and his sisters, Dora Sayers Caro, and Barbara Sayers Larson donated Benares Historic House to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969. It has operated as a museum under the City of Mississauga since 1995 and was officially transferred to Mississauga in 2000. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloten) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artifacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves.