Sayers Family Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 17 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Brooch
Identifier: 2005.1.17
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: c.1860
Image Creator: Museums of Mississuaga
Creation Date: 2005
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A 15 carat yellow gold brooch with feathers and a double scallop rocaille design. The tiered oval shaped brooch has five purplish red facetted oval garnets and three oval faceted clear quartz stones. There is a filigree and knob design at the top centre back of the brooch. Gold balls are set over top of each stone setting. Similar in style to 2005.1.8 & 979.6.1180. May be a set.

History: Parure is a matching set of jewellery usually a necklace, brooch, earrings, and a bracelet. Parures were popular in the 18th and 19th centuries. Demi-parures are smaller sets of jewellery such as earrings and a brooch or earrings and a necklace.
Ostentatious French jewellery of the era of Louis Philippe (1830-1848) and its English counterpart were inspired by the court styles of the 18th century and particularly Rococo. Large coloured stones (or pastes over coloured foils) were set in scrollwork of swirling leaves, tendrils, flowers and rocaille (rococo ornament based on sea shells and crustacean) to give an illusion of depth and weight while really being stamped out of thin sheets of gold.
Kathleen Agnes Sayers neť Colloton (1907 -1981) was the wife of Geoffrey Sayers. Kathleen, known as Kay, married Geoffrey in 1933 at St. Peterís Anglican Church in Erindale. Kay and Geoffrey never had any children and were the last Harris relatives to live at Benares. This jewellery was part of Kay Sayers Estate and was donated by Geoffrey Sayers. Many of these pieces were originally from inheritances through the Harris and Draper families.
Copyright: Museums of Mississuaga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississuaga
pcomapp01:8850