St. Lawrence Starch Co. Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 17 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Skate Sharpener
  View Full size image
Title: Skate Sharpener
Identifier: 2002.1.104
Donor: Bill Gray
Item Date: 1960-1970
Creation Date: 2008
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A cardboard and plastic box containing a metal and plastic skate sharpener. The box a.) is blue, red, white and black and has a picture of hockey figure, Dave Keon. There is a plastic film window that covers the inserted skate sharpener. The skate sharpener has a metal blade and a plastic half circle on top.

History: The St. Lawrence Starch Company was founded in 1889 by John Gray. It was a corn wet-milling operation with the purpose of producing starch and glucose from corn. Many of the product lines produced by St. Lawrence Starch are still in use today such as Durham Starch and Bee Hive Corn Syrup. Food products were only a small portion of the business done at St. Lawrence Starch as starch is an additive in many industrial products such as cement and plastic. St. Lawrence Starch was located at the bottom of Hurontario Street and Lakeshore Road in Port Credit. It was a major industry for this area. The milling operation closed down in 1990 due to competition and high tariffs on corn. In 1993 St. Lawrence Starch announced a marketing alliance with Cargill, Minneapolis, which provides Cargill with exclusive sales services of corn sweeteners and corn starches in the Canadian Market. For more information on the St Lawrence Starch Company, see _St Lawrence Starch 100 Years 1889-1989_.The beehive symbol was used for Beehive Corn Syrup which was produced by St. Lawrence Starch Co., Ltd. Dave Keon was born in Noranda, Quebec in 1940. He began his hockey career in the OHA in 1956 playing for the St. Michael Buzzers. He joined the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1960 acting as the captain from 1969 until he left the team in 1975. Keon played 1286 games with the Leafs and had 396 goals and 590 assists. He joined the World Hockey Association in 1975 after a number of conflicts with Leafs owner Harold Ballard. He rejoined the NHL in 1979 playing for three more seasons for the Hartford Whalers. He retired from Hockey in 1982 and was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1986. He has played in eight all-star games from 1962-1973. Keon was the captain of the Leafs in 1967 when they won their last Stanley Cup. He and other Maple Leafs were honoured in 2007 for the 40th anniversary of the Stanley Cup in a ceremony at the Air Canada Centre Saturday Feb. 17th.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850