|Description: The iron glue pot consists of two pots (975.2.1a, 975.2.1b). The larger pot (975.2.1a) is for water and the smaller one (975.2.1b) is for glue. The smaller pot fits inside the larger pot and the glue is melted over hot water. The larger pot is a straight-sided round pot with curves at the top. A bale wire handle passes through two ears, which extends from the rim. The smaller pot is a straight sided round glue pot. The rim has a narrow flattened lip. There is also a bale wire handle that passes through two ears, which extend from the rim of the pot. |
History: The pot is from the St Lawrence Starch Company in Port Credit. The St. Lawrence Starch Company was founded in 1889 by John Gray. It was a corn wet-milling operation with the purpose of producing starch and glucose from corn. Many of the product lines produced by St. Lawrence Starch are still in use today such as Durham Starch and Bee Hive Corn Syrup. Food products were only a small portion of the business done at St. Lawrence Starch as starch is an additive in many industrial products such as cement and plastic. St. Lawrence Starch was located at the bottom of Hurontario Street and Lakeshore Road in Port Credit. It was a major industry for this area. The milling operation closed down in 1990 due to competition and high tariffs on corn. In 1993 St. Lawrence Starch announced a marketing alliance with Cargill, Minneapolis, which provides Cargill with exclusive sales services of corn sweeteners and corn starches in the Canadian Market. For more information on the St Lawrence Starch Company, see ‘St Lawrence Starch 100 Years 1889-1989’.