St. Lawrence Starch Co. Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 8 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Framed Advertising
Identifier: 2002.1.83
Donor: Bill Gray
Item Date: 1935
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A framed article from a trade publication named 'Canadian Grocer, April 19, 1935' and titled 'Among Our Advertisers: Interesting Items Dealing with Activities of Manufacturers' by the Advertising Manager. Featured with photographs are: John Gray, W.T. Gray, and Arch Hutchinson. The article recognizes the 45th anniversary of the St. Lawrence Starch Co. Ltd. which was founded in 1889 by John Gray and Archie Hutchinson both originally from Scotland. In 1935, when the article was written, John Gray at 93 was Chairman of the Board and Archie Hutchinson at 79 was President. John Gray's son, W. T. Gray was Vice President and General Manager. The company had been making cornstarch and syrup for 45 years during a time that saw Canada's population grow from 4,000,000 to 10,000,000. Another item in the adjacent column of the article is about the Eureka Refrigerator Company, Owen Sound founded in 1886 and their new reach-in display boxes and walk-in refrigerated (?) boxes. The third column is 'New Dealer's Handbill Manual by General Foods', an article about a newly published Advertising Manual and the advantages of advertising and running seasonal and themed sales events. A small insert box titled 'Equipment in the New Gordon Blue Store' describes some new equipment, fixtures, and cash registers for the retail trade available from this store in Belleville, Ontario. The black moulded frame is 1.5 cm wide and the article is protected by glass. The back is covered by brown paper and there are two eye hooks and a twisted wire for hanging. History: Canadian Grocer magazine has been the voice of the grocery industry since 1886 and is Canada's only national grocery publication. Their readership of 19,000 consists of store-, grocery-, and produce-managers in a wide range of food outlets. REF: www.bizlink.com/cangrocerfiles/media kit. The St. Lawrence Starch Company was founded in 1889 by John Gray. It was a corn wet-milling operation with the purpose of producing starch and glucose from corn. Many of the product lines produced by St. Lawrence Starch are still in use today such as Durham Starch and Bee Hive Corn Syrup. Food products were only a small portion of the business done at St. Lawrence Starch as starch is an additive in many industrial products such as cement and plastic. St. Lawrence Starch was located at the bottom of Hurontario Street at Lakeshore Road in Port Credit. It was a major industry for this area. The milling operation closed down in 1990 due to competition and high tariffs on corn. In 1993 St. Lawrence Starch announced a marketing alliance with Cargill, Minneapolis, which provides Cargill with exclusive sales services of corn sweeteners and corn starches in the Canadian Market. For more information on the St Lawrence Starch Company, see 'St Lawrence Starch 100 Years 1889-1989'. The beehive symbol was used for Beehive Corn Syrup which was produced by St. Lawrence Starch Co., Ltd.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851