COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Travel Tips

The legal age to purchase or consume alcohol containing products in the province of Ontario is 19 years of age and over. Spirits, wine, imported beers and various other liquors can be purchased from retail outlets known as LCBO stores. Domestic and imported beer may be purchased from Brewers Retail outlets called The Beer Store.

In Canada it is a criminal offense to operate a motor vehicle, vessel or aircraft while impaired by alcohol. More than 80 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood (.08%) is considered impaired. It is a criminal offense to refuse to provide a breath sample for testing when demanded by an officer of the law.

Currency and Credit Cards
It is recommended that foreign visitors use Canadian funds when travelling to Mississauga. Canadian funds can be acquired in your country of origin, or obtained upon arrival though banks, credit unions, currency exchange offices and also at Pearson International Airport.

The standard currency used throughout Canada is the Canadian Dollar. Canadian bills exists in denominations of $100.00, $50.00, $20.00, $10.00 and $5.00. Coins come in denominations of $2.00 (often called a 'toonie'), $1.00 (often called a 'loonie'), $.25 (called a 'quarter'), $.10 (called a 'dime'), $.05 ( called a 'nickel'), $.01 (called a 'penny').

Most major credit cards are usable throughout Canada and accepted by most vendors. Major credit cards include Visa, MasterCard and American Express.

Driving and Speed Limits
Unless otherwise posted the speed limit on Mississauga streets is 50 Km/H (30 MPH). On highways (freeways) the speed limit is generally 100 Km/H (55 MPH). Gasoline prices are in litres. One gallon equals approximately 3.8 litres. Wearing seatbelts in mandatory.

Sales Tax
In the province of Ontario most purchases are subject to a 8% sales tax(PST). Services along with most goods are also subject to the 5% Goods and Services Tax (GST).

Non-Canadian residents may apply for a GST rebate. To qualify you must not be a resident of Canada, have original receipts that have been stamped in Canada (can be stamped at participating duty-free stores or at any Canada Customs Office). Each individual receipt must show a minimum of $50 Canadian and your purchase amounts must total at least $200 Canadian to be eligible for a GST rebate.

The customary tip rate for dining services is 15% of the pre-tax total. In bars it is customary to leave the tip with every drink or round ordered. Taxi drivers are also normally tipped 10 to 15%.

Electricity in Canada is supplied at 120 Volts at 60 Hertz. The plugs are the same as used in the United States.  If you come from a country that uses five electricity, you will have to bring or buy a converter to use electrical devices from your country.