- The Mississauga segment of the transitway will cover 18 kilometres along the Highway 403 / Eastgate Parkway/Eglinton Avenue corridors, connecting Winston Churchill Boulevard in the west to Renforth Drive in the east.
- In total it represents a 100-kilometre dedicated bus corridor connecting municipalities across the GTA from Oakville to Pickering, with connections to local bus services and inter-regional transit and subway systems.
- The Mississauga segment of the transitway will cover 18 kilometres along the Highway 403 / Eglinton Avenue corridor, connecting Winston Churchill Boulevard in the west to Renforth Drive in the east.
- Twelve stations are planned with key connection points at:
- Winston Churchill
- Erin Mills
- City Centre
- Central Parkway
- Etobicoke Creek
- Completion and operation of Mississauga's section of the transitway is part of Ontario's Smart Growth Plan for development of the GTA, and the City's Transit Ridership Growth Strategy, which establishes a five-year target of achieving a 25% increase in the use of higher-order transit in Mississauga.
- Planning between the City, GO Transit and the provincial and federal governments began in the mid 1990's.
- A precursor service operated by GO Transit opened in 2003 using dedicated Bus Bypass Shoulders (BBS) on Highway 403 from Erin Mills Parkway to Mavis Road. The service has saved up to 10 minutes per trip during peak times, and GO ridership has grown from 4,000 to 12,000 riders per day since 2003.
Construction and Funding
- Mississauga's BRT Project is being made possible through funding from the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario, GO Transit and the City of Mississauga.
- The total cost of the transitway is $259 Million.
- Construction of the project is expected to commence in 2009 with full operation slated in 2017.
- The transitway will be constructed:
- In the West, from Winston Churchill Boulevard to Erin Mills Parkway
- In the East, from the City Centre to Renforth Drive
- These two sections, combined with the existing Highway 403 Bus Bypass Shoulders and Centre View Drive, will form the transitway from Winston Churchill to Renforth Drive