COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Motor Vehicles Sales and Repair

Motor Vehicles Sales and Repair

There are several different uses in the Zoning by-law that relate to the sale, rental and repair of motor vehicles.

The use depends on:

  1.  The type of vehicle (commercial or non-commercial)
  2.  The type of repairs being done (mechanical or body repairs.
  3.  The type of sale being conducted (wholesale, retail, or rental)

Motor Vehicle Body Repair Facility

Motor Vehicle Body Repair Facility - Commercial Motor Vehicle

Motor Vehicle Rental Facility

Motor Vehicle Repair Facility - Restricted

Motor Vehicle Repair Facility - Commercial Motor Vehicle

Motor Vehicle Sales, Leasing and/or Rental Facility - Commercial Motor Vehicles

Motor Vehicle Sales, Leasing and/or Rental Facility - Restricted

These uses are all defined and can be found here.

A motor vehicle means an automobile, truck, motorcycle or any other vehicle propelled or driven otherwise than by muscular power, excluding a commercial motor vehicle, a streetcar, or other motor vehicles running only upon rails, or a motorized snow vehicle, traction engine, farm tractor, self-propelled implement of husbandry or road-building machine.

A commercial motor vehicle means a motor vehicle having attached thereto, a truck or delivery body and may include but is not limited to a catering or canteen truck, bus, cube van, tow truck, tilt and load truck, dump truck, tractor trailer, ambulance, hearse, fire apparatus and tractor, used for hauling purposes. (0325-2008), (0308-2011)

To determine where these uses are permitted, consult Permitted Uses and the Zoning By-law (in effect)

OMVIC Motor Vehicle Dealers License:

The City of Mississauga requires the issuance of a Zoning Certificate of Occupancy authorizing the sale or distribution of motor vehicles, prior to advising the Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC) that your use is permitted from your business premises. This is a separate process and permit that must be completed prior to any further correspondence being provided for your OMVIC license.

Wholesale sales (NO RETAIL) including a business office:

You must write a letter to the City of Mississauga requesting a Zoning letter which is required by OMVIC prior to the issuance of their dealer’s license. See our ZONING LETTER web page for information on what is to be included in your correspondence to the City of Mississauga when requesting a clearance letter for your Motor Vehicle Dealers License.

Retail Sales:

In place of a letter, a City of Mississauga Public Garage - Type B License must be presented to the Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC) when applying for a Motor Vehicle Dealers License. A Zoning Certificate of Occupancy alone is not sufficient and a Zoning Letter will not be provided for RETAIL SALES. NOTE: a Public Garage - Type B License will not be issued by the City unless a Zoning Certificate of Occupancy has been issued, authorizing the retail sale of motor vehicles from your business location.

For further information in this regard, the City of Mississauga Licensing Office is located on the Ground Floor, Civic Centre - Phone Number 311 or alternatively if you a calling from outside of Mississauga 905-615-4311

Any information contained herein is strictly for information purposes only and should be reviewed in conjunction with Zoning By-Law 0225-2007, as amended. In the case where the information provided conflicts with that of the text contained in Zoning By-law 0225-2007, as amended, the text shall prevail. It should not be relied on when making decisions in connection with real estate transactions, development proposals or building permits.

Please visit the Mississauga Civic Centre, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to review the Official Zoning By-law and to speak with staff before making important decisions.

A list of amendments passed by Council but not yet incorporated into the office consolidation copy can be found on the Unconsolidated Zoning By-law Amendments document. 

Copies of Zoning By-law Amendments are available at:
Office of the City Clerk
Corporate Services Department, 2nd Floor.