COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Running a Business from Home

Running a Business from Home


There are some limited business uses that are permitted in some residential zones.

  • The following Home Occupations (as defined by the Zoning Bylaw) are typically permitted to operate from a detached dwelling provided the Home Occupation complies with all the restrictions indicated in Article of the Zoning Bylaw.
    • tutoring
    • music instruction
    • artist or artisan
    • general office use
  • A home office (as defined by the Zoning Bylaw), except a resident physician, is permitted within any dwelling unit in a residential zone provided the home office complies with all the restrictions indicated in Article of the Zoning By-law.

A Zoning Certificate of Occupancy is required for all above noted uses – See also Zoning Certificates. The Home Occupation Declaration is to accompany this application.


Any information contained herein is strictly for information purposes only and should be reviewed in conjunction with Zoning By-Law 0225-2007, as amended. In the case where the information provided conflicts with that of the text contained in Zoning By-law 0225-2007, as amended, the text shall prevail. It should not be relied on when making decisions in connection with real estate transactions, development proposals or building permits.

Please visit the Mississauga Civic Centre, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to review the Official Zoning By-law and to speak with staff before making important decisions.

A list of amendments passed by Council but not yet incorporated into the office consolidation copy can be found on the Unconsolidated Zoning By-law Amendments document. 

Copies of Zoning By-law Amendments are available at:
Office of the City Clerk
Corporate Services Department, 2nd Floor.