COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Understanding the Zoning By-law
zoning information questions

ZONING BY-LAW 0225-2007

What is a Zoning By-law?
The City’s Zoning By-law 0225-2007 regulates the use of land, buildings and structures and implements the Mississauga Official Plan, which directs growth in the City.

The City uses the Zoning By-law to make sure that the interests of the entire community, and not just those of an individual are taken into account. While a neighbour might think it’s a great idea to run a car repair shop from the garage of his home, or build a 3-storey high shed, or operate a take-out restaurant from his kitchen, the Zoning by-law ensures that development occurs that is compatible with your neighbourhood.

The Zoning By-law is made up of two sections: Zoning Maps, which identify the zoning of all lands within the City; and, the text which sets out the permitted uses, such as residential and retail, and the associated regulations for the various zones.

The Zoning By-law sets out:
  • how land may be used ( e.g. residential, office, employment, commercial, etc.)
  • the permitted uses on a specific property
  • the location of buildings on a property
  • the size of buildings and lots
  • parking requirements
  • building heights
All new construction must comply with the requirements of the Zoning By-law before a building permit can be issued. If you plan to open a new business or apply for a building permit for any type of construction, your first step should be to check the zoning regulations that affect your property as you may discover that: the business you planned on opening is not permitted or your proposed building plans require a significant re-design.

The How to Check Property Zoning will walk you through the process of determining the zoning of a property and will give you a general idea about the various regulations. The Zoning By-law is a very complex document and reading one section may not provide you with all the information that you need. For example, a restaurant may be a permitted use on a property, but if there is not enough parking on the property you may not be able to obtain a building or an occupancy permit. Contact 3-1-1 (905-615-4311 outside City Limits) for further assistance.

ZONING BY-LAW 0225-2007?

All new construction must be designed in conformance with the zoning by-law. In specific situations where it may cause undue hardship to comply with all applicable regulations of the zoning by-law, an applicant may apply to the Committee of Adjustment by means of an “Application for Minor Variance” for relief from the Zoning By-law. Minor variances may be granted by the Committee of Adjustment provided that, in their opinion the request is minor in nature, is desirable for the appropriate development or use of the land, building or structure and if in the opinion of the committee, the general intent and purpose of the Zoning By-law and Official Plan are maintained. For more details on the Committee of Adjustment Minor Variance application process, visit the Committee of Adjustment  You may wish to review Building and Renovating in Mississauga – A Good Neighbour Guide for Homeowners  for more information. It is recommended that you discuss the merits of a Committee of Adjustment application with the Planning division prior to submitting your application.

When a minor variance is granted by the Committee of Adjustment that specific zoning by-law regulation is altered for the specific proposed application only.