Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1105 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Clarkson's Corners
  View Full size image
Title: Clarkson's Corners
Identifier: PH3490
Image Type: B&W Photo, 17.5x12.5 cm.
Subject: Clarkson, Ont. (Mississauga)
Location: Clarkson

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Warren Clarkson, who came from New York, settled in the area and bought 100 acres of land, on which he built a house in 1819. The corner of Clarkson’s property, later purchased by the Great Western Railway, became known as Clarkson’s Corner. The railway siding carried the same name. The railway station was originally located on the north side of the railway tracks, behind the store and Post Office on Clarkson Road. The railway secured right-of-way across Warren Clarkson’s lots in 1853. It brought commerce to local fruit and vegetable farmers. Corn, apples and especially strawberries were produced in Clarkson. The apostrophe in Clarkson’s was removed from the sign in 1956, although Corner had long since disappeared. This photo is a copy of a postcard from the collection of Harold Hare. Description as of March 2011.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850