Browse & Search All Images
Displaying image 299 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Barn, Streetsville (owned by Erin Mills Development)
  View Full size image
Title: Barn, Streetsville (owned by Erin Mills Development)
Identifier: PH3517
Date of Original Photo: ca 1990
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x8 cm.
Subject: Barns - Ontario - Streetsville (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 5708 Winston Churchill Blvd., pt. Lot 5 Plan 1541, Conc 11 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 5708 Winston Churchill Blvd. Conc 11 NDS, pt. Lot 5 Plan 1541. The house on this property was a basic farm house in an L-shaped plan with a stone foundation. This barn, which was located at the west end of the property, was a Central Ontario Gambrel type. It had a painted stone foundation with vertical board and plain batten siding. According to the Barn Inventory of the Planning and Heritage Department, the "Central Ontario barn is virtually ubiquitous in its distribution, although the heaviest concentrations lie in the northern counties. In some areas the gambrel variety is most dominant, while in others, the gable appears more frequently. In the southern counties, the gambrel roof seems to be the most popular. This fact is certainly supported by the pervasiveness of the gambrel roof on surviving Central Ontario Barns within the City of Mississauga… In general, the foundation storey served as the stable, while the upper storey consisted of three types of space: the Drive Floor (used for work space and storage of tools and machinery), the Granary (used for storing crops and for loading crops on to wagons outside the barn), and the Storage Mow (used for storage of hay, straw, unthreshed grains, and other crops). Many barns also featured a loft." In 1877 this barn was owned by Hugh Kee. The property was formerly listed on the Heritage Register but was demolished in 1997. Description as of April 2011.
Agency: Mississauga Library System