Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 4887 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Simpson-Humphries Barn A, (Sanford Farm), Meadowvale
  View Full size image
Title: Simpson-Humphries Barn A, (Sanford Farm), Meadowvale
Identifier: PH3562
Date of Original Photo: ca 1990
Image Type: B&W Photo, 12x9 cm.
Subject: Barns - Ontario - Meadowvale (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 1200 Old Derry Road, pt. Lot 10, Conc 3 WHS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1200 Old Derry Road. Conc 3 WHS, pt. Lot 10. This Central Ontario Gambrel barn is one of four barns on the Simpson-Humphries property, also known as Sanford Farm. The house on the property was built in the 1860s by John Simpson, a prominent mill owner and founder of Meadowvale. There is an illustration of the property in the 1877 Historical Atlas of Peel County, which shows several barns. Barns A and C are built in the same location as two of the barns in this illustration. It would not be unusual for a farmer to build a new barn on the same foundation as a previous one. This particular barn has a rubble foundation covered by concrete, and vertical board and batten siding. There is an extended eave at the Gambrel peak. The Simpson-Humphries property is designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act and is located within the Meadowvale Heritage Conservation District. Description as of April 2011.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851