Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 3476 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Melville Parker, Cooksville
  View Full size image
Title: Melville Parker, Cooksville
Identifier: MC0667
Date of Original Photo: 1877
Image Type: B&W drawing
Subject: Parker, Melville, Sir, 1824-1903

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A portrait of Sir Melville Parker from the 1877 Historical Atlas of Peel County. Melville Parker was the son of Sir William George Parker, Bart., the eldest son of Vice-Admiral Sir William Parker. Sir William George Parker retired from the Royal Navy as a Rear-Admiral and settled in Cooksville in 1842, where he built Clair House. Melville Parker, along with Count Justin de Courtenay, founded the Clair House winery, the first commercial winery in the area. He served as reeve of Toronto Township (now Mississauga) in 1862, 1864, 1866, and from 1892 to 1896. Though opposed to separation, he worked actively to build up Peel County after it divided from York in 1866. Parker died November 17, 1903 and is buried at St. Jamesí Cemetery in Toronto.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851