Browse & Search All Images
Displaying image 4896 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Simpson-Humphries Barn D, (Sanford Farm), Meadowvale
  View Full size image
Title: Simpson-Humphries Barn D, (Sanford Farm), Meadowvale
Identifier: PH3569
Date of Original Photo: ca 1990
Image Type: B&W Photo, 12x9 cm.
Subject: Barns - Ontario - Meadowvale (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 1200 Old Derry Road, pt. Lot 10, Conc 3 WHS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1200 Old Derry Road. Conc 3 WHS, pt. Lot 10. This is a Two Bay Gable barn with a catslide roof. It is one of four barns on the Simpson-Humphries property, also known as Sanford Farm. The house on the property was built in the 1860s by John Simpson, a prominent mill owner and founder of Meadowvale. There is an illustration of the property in the 1877 Historical Atlas of Peel County, which shows several barns. Barns A and C are built in the same location as two of the barns in this illustration. It would not be unusual for a farmer to build a new barn on the same foundation as a previous one. This particular barn has horizontal clapboard siding with shed roof additions on the south and west facades. There is a porch over the door on the east fašade. Both drive doors are on the east fašade. The Two Bay barn, like the Central Ontario barn, was designed to be a general purpose structure, but a much smaller building. It provided limited stable facilities, some storage space for crops and tools and a small working space. Its most notable feature is the absence of a foundation storey. Two Bay barns usually have the doors at the sides and not the ends. The Simpson-Humphries property is designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act and is located within the Meadowvale Heritage Conservation District. Description as of April 2011.
Agency: Mississauga Library System