Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1703 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Easydale, William Justin Home, Toronto Township, Streetsville
  View Full size image
Title: Easydale, William Justin Home, Toronto Township, Streetsville
Identifier: MC0687
Date of Original Photo: 1877
Date Built: ca 1860s
Image Type: B&W Drawing
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: Lot 12, Town Line, Conc 6

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A drawing from the 1877 Historical Atlas of Peel County. Easydale was the residence of William Justin, Esq. at Conc 6, Lot 12 Town Line, Toronto Township. Justin was a farmer and stockbroker. Easydale was also known as the Justin House, located at 7523 Winston Churchill Blvd. Conc 6 WHS, pt. Lot 13, and formerly listed on the Heritage Inventory. The following description of the house is from a report, dated September 11, 1990, from R. G. B. Edmunds, Commissioner of Planning and Building, to the Chairman and members of the LACAC. "The house, known as Easydale, was featured in the 1877 Illustrated Historical Atlas of Peel County, and was probably built in the late 1860s or early 1870s. The original owner of the property was Martin Justin, Sr., who was born in Queen's County, Ireland, in 1790. He applied for a land grant in 1819 for the W 1/2 of Lot 13 and W 1/2 or Lot 12, Conc. 6, Toronto Township, a total of 200 acres. However, he died intestate before the land claims were finalized and was survived by his wife Eliza, and two sons. Both Eliza and the eldest son, William, applied to gain title to the land. In 1846, William Justin won legal title to both lots and sold the W 1/2 Lot 13, Conc 6, to his brother, Martin, Jr., for 600 sterling. William Justin became the Magistrate of Streetsville and an upstanding member of the community." The property was later owned by Lisgar Twin Service, and then in 1990 by Entas Developments, who had made a proposal to develop the site for purposes of high-density office/commercial use. Edmunds' report recommended that the property be designated but it was demolished in 1997. Description as of February 2012.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850