Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5247 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Streetsville, Northern Part
  View Full size image
Title: Streetsville, Northern Part
Identifier: MC0694
Date of Original Photo: 1877
Image Type: B&W Drawing
Subject: Streetsville (Mississauga, Ont.) - Maps

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Copy of a sketch taken from the 1877 Historical Atlas of Peel County. The village of Streetsville was named after Timothy Street, who with Richard Bristol carried out the survey of the area in 1818. Street himself acquired 1000 acres and set up a mill, tannery and distillery by about 1819. By 1829 Streetsville had a post office and more mills were built, including the Toronto Woollen Mills owned by the Barber Brothers. In 1858 Streetsville was incorporated as a village and in 1962 became a town with a population of 5,000. In 1974 Streetsville became part of the City of Mississauga. It is home to the largest concentration of historic buildings in the City. Description as of March 2012.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850