Browse & Search All Images
Displaying image 5818 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Wilcox Hotel, Front Entrance, Port Credit
  View Full size image
Title: Wilcox Hotel, Front Entrance, Port Credit
Identifier: PH0707
Date of Original Photo: 1985
Date Built: ca 1840s
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x8 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Port Credit (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 32 Front Street South, pt. 1-2, Plan 300-W

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 32 Front Street South. Plan 300-W, Pt. 1 & 2. Built in the late 1840s by James Wilcox and used as a hotel for some years, until the building of the Great Western Railway between Toronto and Hamilton, and the 1855 fire in Port Credit, as a result of which, much of the traffic which would have passed through Port Credit was then diverted. Wilcox gave up hotel-keeping and became a sea captain. The building may have been used for Presbyterian church services until a church was built in 1892. It was later divided into two dwellings and was used as a boarding house, and at one time, as a Temperance hotel. After restoration, it became a commercial building. This property has a heritage easement with the City of Mississauga and forms part of the Old Port Credit Village Heritage District.
Agency: Mississauga Library System