Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1584 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Dixie Union Chapel
  View Full size image
Title: Dixie Union Chapel
Identifier: PH0753
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Date Built: 1837
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x7.5 cm.
Subject: Church buildings - Ontario - Dixie (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 707 Dundas Street East, pt. Lot 10 S1/2, Conc 1 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 707 Dundas Street East. Conc 1 NDS, pt. Lot 10, SŅ. This stone building, erected in 1837, replaced a log structure built in 1816 by the combined Protestant denominations in the district. By 1827 regular services were being held in the log church, with time allotted to each denomination. Gradually the different denominations built their own places of worship. The Methodists moved to a church in Cooksville in 1845. The Anglicans built a brick church next door, St. Johnís, in 1870. The Presbyterians continued to use the Union Chapel until 1910 when they built a church just north of the Union Cemetery. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851