Browse & Search All Images
Displaying image 4256 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Port Credit Harbour, the
  View Full size image
Title: Port Credit Harbour, the "Lillian"
Identifier: HA0002
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x8 cm.
Subject: Harbors - Ontario - Port Credit (Mississauga)
Donor: Charlie Hare

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: One of the last of the stonehookers, the "Lillian", was brought to Port Credit in the 1870s and rebuilt twice, the last time by Captain Abram Block and John Miller who replaced her bow. In 1926 she was at the end of her usefulness and was laid up with her bowsprit almost projecting onto the Toronto Hamilton highway, and a mournful For Sale sign attached to her mast. On April 25, 1929, the Brampton Conservator reported that she had been acquired by the Hamilton Company of the Royal Canadian Volunteer Reserve, to be refitted as a training ship for boys. From the Harold Hare Collection.
Agency: Mississauga Library System