Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 4269 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Port Credit Lighthouse and Pier
  View Full size image
Title: Port Credit Lighthouse and Pier
Identifier: HA0007
Date of Original Photo: 1910
Date Built: 1882
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x8 cm.
Subject: Lighthouses - Ontario - Port Credit (Mississauga)
Donor: Charlie Hare

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A view of the lakeshore looking towards the Port Credit Lighthouse. According to Kathleen Hicks' account in "Port Credit: Past to Present", the Department of Marine and Fisheries supervised the building of a lighthouse in 1882. This was a 36 foot high white frame building with a wooden crib, which stood on a stone foundation at the end of a pier on the east side of the Credit River. Prior to the building of the lighthouse, light to guide incoming ships had been provided by a lantern hung from one of the warehouses. It has been recorded in a few sources that the lighthouse was built in 1863 by Frederick Capreol, but no evidence can be found to substantiate this. In fact the contract for the erection of the lightouse was awarded to Roderick Cameron, of Lancaster for the sum of $1,500, as per the Sessional Papers of 1883. The first lighthouse keeper was Alexander Blakeley, at a salary of $150 per annum. In 1936, the lighthouse was accidentally destroyed by fire. From the Harold Hare Collection. Record updated January 2013.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850